Sun. Aug 23rd, 2026

Assam flood relief: Rs 146 crore disbursed to nearly 97,000 families

Photo by Mozzworld, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0

Assam’s state government has disbursed Rs 146.26 crore in interim flood relief, providing Rs 15,000 each to 96,842 affected families across the state.

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has said the government is aiming for full compensation for flood-hit families before Durga Puja this year.

A further few thousand families are expected to receive the same interim assistance shortly as the state completes its outreach in the worst-affected districts.

For families of those who died in the floods, the government has said the process of providing financial assistance of Rs 9 lakh to next of kin remains ongoing.

Separately, the state has extended relief on bank loan instalment repayment for flood-affected borrowers, with applications open until August 31 and 1,712 people having already availed themselves of the measure.

Preliminary damage assessments put total losses at around Rs 480 crore so far, with the final figure expected to rise as evaluations in the worst-hit districts continue.

Rapid damage assessment work is under way in Charaideo, Sivasagar, Jorhat and Golaghat districts, with a second phase of assessment expected to conclude around mid-September.

The government has said it aims to release full flood damage compensation to affected families before Durga Puja this year.

Applications for relief on bank loan instalment repayment are being accepted until August 31, with 1,712 flood-affected individuals having already availed themselves of the measure.

For families of those who died in the floods, the state government has said the process of providing financial assistance of Rs 9 lakh to next of kin is continuing.

Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has personally reviewed restoration work in several of the worst-affected districts as part of the state’s response to the disaster.

Assam’s preliminary damage assessment has put total losses at around Rs 480 crore, with 26,681 houses affected across the state, though the final figure is expected to rise as evaluations continue.

Photo by Mozzworld, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 4.0


Discover more from Times Release

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Discover more from Times Release

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading